Tuesday 15 February 2011

First Impressions: Level E

Sometimes I could just kick myself. This season so far, I’ve been digesting so-so animes, Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Animes refusing to acknowledge their potential, Dragon Crisis! Or animes that are only just starting to show their strengths, Gosick. All the while completely obvious to Level E, shame, shame on me! Easily Level E is the best show on the winter schedule and I’m only one episode in. Here’s the synopsis: our main character is a high school baseball star, moving from Tokyo to a quieter town in order to attend a new school and play baseball for a national team. Nice, simple slice of life premise. Except when he arrives at his new apartment he finds that it is already occupied by a man claiming to be an alien with amnesia. And hijinks ensue. Oh please more puppet antics, those were hilarious! Despite a relatively small opening cast in a relatively small situation, the story doesn’t feel forced or contrived. The characters don’t act as the story requires them to. Clearly they are the ones pulling the strings. In all, it was refreshing, creatively appeasing and holds so much potential. I’m sold. One hundred and ten percent. I just hope this series won’t be as short as it is rumoured to be.

Inital Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment